Can’t stand iron build-up? Worry no more! Build-up is going to happen no matter what, but the good news is, you can get your iron back to looking fresh and clean with a little TLC. There are ways to keep your iron looking cleaner longer, including keeping it safely stored in your laundry room cabinets. Read more to find how what you can do to keep your iron looking shiny and new.
Why Your Iron Gets Gunky
According to DIY Network, here are some quick factors that contribute to the iron gunk:
- Mineral deposit build-up
- Hot heat on synthetic fabrics like nylon, acrylic, and polyester
- Spray starch
- Leftover water left in the reservoir
First Things First
If left unchecked, lime scale and mineral deposits can plug up the holes in your iron. Due to its compact size, cleaning out the water reservoir on your iron can be tricky, but it’s definitely necessary now and then. Fill the reservoir with equal parts white vinegar and distilled water, and let it sit and soak anywhere from a few minutes to 24 hours, depending on how dirty your iron is. Next, turn the iron on, and run it over a clean rag until all the water and vinegar (and grime) is gone. Repeat with fresh distilled water, and remember to always use distilled water when steaming in the future. Also, be sure to empty your iron of any leftover water after each use.
Hot Plate Hacks
Rust and grime on your iron plate is more than an eyesore. Keep your clothes safe from a dirty iron with these 3 natural hacks.
- Lemon: Lemon is especially good at removing rust. Cut half a lemon and rub it along the rusty and dirty parts of the iron plate, and gently buff clean.
- Salt And Vinegar: Soak a damp cotton towel with white vinegar, and sprinkle table salt on top of the towel. Heat the iron with steam, and pass it over the wet towel to massage the salt in and loosen any dirt.
- Baking Soda: When you have a blockage of build-up, create a paste using one-part water to two-parts baking soda. Baking soda’s abrasive properties can help remove stubborn build-up. For complete instructions, watch this video from Real Simple.
It’s normal for irons to get dirty from time to time, so try out these simple steps to keep your iron looking like new! Have fun finding the best iron cleaning method for you. And remember to store your freshly cleaned iron behind closed doors in your laundry room cabinets for longer lasting results.
At The RTA Store, we are more than just kitchen cabinets! We help make your dream laundry room a reality with RTA (Ready To Assemble) and Pre-assembled laundry room cabinetry with the same (if not better) quality you would find at any retail store but for a fraction of the price. Stop by our website or give us a call to learn more about our products today!