Many of us love freshly baked sugar cookies, rolled and cut into cute little shapes. But what makes them stand out is the icing that turns these cookies into custom works of art! With that said, many of us also live in cookie cutter homes, in well-manicured, suburban developments with rows of identical houses. So why not take a tip from your favorite holiday cookie, and add some icing of your own! Here, well show you how to add character to a cookie cutter home for that custom look you crave.
The Pros And Cons Of A Cookie Cutter Home
According to Home Innovation Research Labs, a subsidiary of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), it costs builders around 20-30% less to offer a set selection of home designs in a development, rather than building custom floor plans. By keeping things consistent, builders can streamline the process, and buy materials in bulk, further reducing costs. These savings are then passed on to the homebuyer, making cookie cutter homes extremely popular for buyers on a budget. But while you get more square footage for the money, the downside is a lack of customization. While the buyer may be able to choose the siding or interior paint color, options are limited and lacking those charming and unique details seen is custom homes.
How To Add Custom Character To A Cookie Cutter Home
If your kitchen looks just like your neighbor’s kitchen, and you’re ready for a change, consider ready to assemble (RTA) cabinetry. You’ll get solid wood cabinetry with a custom look, at an affordable price tag, because you do the work yourself. The RTA Store will be there to help you every step of the way, and we even offer a free room design service, so you can see the difference a little “custom” character can make.
Like icing on the cookie, here are a few more details that can help add character to a cookie cutter home:
- Give your kitchen a timeless update with Shaker cabinetry.
- Add glass front doors, decorative end panels, wine racks, and other details.
- Install crown molding.
- Take on a DIY wainscoting project or custom accent wall.
- Paint your interior a custom color.
- Add decorative details to a plain white ceiling.
- Swap out wall-to-wall carpeting for wood or tile flooring.
- Replace builder-grade light fixtures for a personalized touch.
- Upgrade your bath hardware and faucets.
- Opt for a copper apron front sink.
- Install a natural stone backsplash.
- Splurge on a unique new countertop, such as quartzite.
- Add solid wood cabinetry to your laundry room or TV Room.
- Upgrade your bathroom vanity for extra storage.
- Create a custom bar or home office.
- Add plantation shutters or custom window treatments.
- Add curb appeal with landscaping.
- Install inside cabinet accessories for custom organization.
At The RTA Store we help make your dream home a reality with RTA (Ready To Assemble) and Pre-Assembled cabinets and accessories. Whether it’s your kitchen bathroom, laundry room, home office, bar room or TV room, we offer the same (if not better) quality you would find at any retail store, but for a fraction of the price. Stop by our website or give us a call and let us make your dreams come true with the help of our free room design tool!