According to a recent study published by Houselogic, clutter has a profound affect on our mood and self-esteem. Living in a messy and disorganized home can increase stress levels, making us feel anxious and even depressed. Here, we’ll discuss how to create a happier and more functional home, including helpful hacks to curb the dirt and the clutter.
In The Kitchen
- Don’t let dirty dishes pile up in the kitchen sink. Instead wash dishes by hand or load them in the dishwasher as soon as you’re finished eating. Installing a double bowl kitchen sink can help simplify this task.
- Sweep the floors of your open concept kitchen and wipe down your countertops every evening before going to bed. Clean your appliances and microwave once a week.
- Avoid hanging anything on the refrigerator. File important papers immediately and recycle the rest.
- Organize your pantry by zones.
- Install inside cabinet accessories for organizing items like cookware, cutlery and spices, and to keep an unsightly trashcan hidden behind closed doors.
In The Living Room
- Reposition throw pillows and blankets in the living room after sitting and before going to bed.
- Install TV room cabinetry for storing electronics, toys, games and other items out of sight. Keep a dust cloth in a drawer for quick touch-ups.
- Keep baskets on open shelving for remote controls, magazines, and small odds and ends.
- Run the vacuum at least twice a week.
In The Bedroom
- Make your bed every morning, as soon as you wake. Be sure to wash your bedding once a week.
- The bedroom tends to be a catchall for clean laundry and miscellaneous items that need a home. Put three things away every time you walk into the room.
In The Bathroom
- Keep toiletries, your hairdryer, and extra rolls of paper stored neatly inside your bathroom cabinets instead of on the counter.
- Help keep your toilet fresher between scrubbing with automatic cleaning tablets.
- Wipe down your shower doors with a microfiber cloth or squeegee after use, and keep soap and shampoo stored in one location.
- Add towel bars or hooks to keep wet towels off the floor.
In The Laundry Room
- Keep up on laundry by making your laundry room more functional. Install laundry room cabinetry to house all washing and ironing necessities in one place.
- Have bars for hanging wet garments, hampers for dirty clothes, and a countertop for folding.
In The Foyer
- Never wear shoes in the house. Instead, have a place for storing shoes by the front door to avoid tracking dirt on your floors.
- Don’t let mail pile up on your dining room or hall table. Keep in and out baskets or a message center in your entryway, along with key hooks and a coat rack.
At The RTA Store we help make your dream home a reality with RTA (Ready To Assemble) and Pre-Assembled cabinets and accessories. Whether it’s your kitchen bathroom, laundry room, home office, bar room or TV room, we offer the same (if not better) quality you would find at any retail store, but for a fraction of the price. Stop by our website or give us a call and let us make your dreams come true with the help of our free room design tool!