Ever tiptoe to the kitchen for a late night snack? You raid your refrigerator and cupboard for something, anything that will fulfill your cravings, curb your hunger, and help you rest soundly without your tummy grumbling the entire night. If this sounds familiar, keep your pantry cabinet stocked with these healthy late-night favorites to help you snack smartly!
- Fruits: Nature’s candy has lots of vitamins, fiber, and healthy sugars that can satisfy your sweet tooth and digest quickly and easily. Opt for single serving fruits like apples and bananas and add a spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter for an extra pick-me-up. Other fruits like plums, peaches, and nectarines are good choices since they are ready to eat at the touch of your fingertips without fuss or mess.
- Veggies: Nutritious and delicious, veggies are great since they satisfy your craving for something crunchy. Snacking on veggies in their fresh, raw form can help you relax, and neutralizing your stomach too. Try carrots, celery, broccoli, and red bell peppers for a cool, crisp snack. Dip your veggies in hummus, cream cheese, or salad dressing if you need an extra kick.
- Cheese: Packed with protein and healthy fats, a few small bites of cheese will keep you full and satisfied until morning. Nibble on Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss, Provolone, Gouda, and Mozzarella, or have some cottage cheese. At about 100 calories, you can’t go wrong. The tryptophan in cheese helps you settle down and get drowsy for a good night’s sleep.
- Nuts and Seeds: This protein filled snack has lots of possibilities. Eat just one type, or create your own personal mix. Try almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, pistachios, pine nuts, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. You only need a small handful to stay full throughout the night.
- Cereal: Stick with plain, organic, and whole-grain based cereals without high sugar content, since sugar may keep you up all night long. Cereals like corn flakes, crisp rice, granola, and raisin bran can be a great comfort to your stomach, and a great protein source. Warm cereal alternatives like oatmeal, cream of wheat, and quinoa are perfect food soothers for sleepy time.
- Simple Light Carbs: If it’s a salty or savory snack you crave, that’s okay. Just be sure to stay away from high-fat, high-calorie, and processed foods like chips, fries, and sugary sweets. Go for whole-wheat and organic options like crackers, pretzels, and popcorn.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is a sweet snack that will keep you feeling full throughout the night. At about 100 calories, it’s loaded with probiotics that will calm your stomach and keep heartburn and indigestion away while you sleep. Try to stick with plain, non-fat, or Greek yogurt without any extras fruits or flavors as they have more sugar content. Instead, sprinkle fresh berries or granola on top.
Keep your refrigerator and pantry cabinet filled with these healthy snacks. So the next time hunger lures you to the kitchen for a late night snack, you’ll be ready!
At The RTA Store we help make your dream kitchen a reality with RTA (Ready To Assemble) and Pre-Assembled kitchen cabinets, and accessories with the same (if not better) quality you would find at any retail store but for a fraction of the price. Stop by our website or give us a call and let us make your kitchen dreams come true with the help of our free kitchen design tool!