For a healthy home, it's important to make sure your kitchen has proper ventilation. When you cook, you send smoke, grease, and sometimes gas into the air. The grease will latch onto cabinets and other surfaces, causing an odor and a slimy film to form over time. A diligent cleaning routine combined with these simple hacks will keep fresh air flowing through your kitchen.
- Get a splatter guard. An easy and affordable option, splatter guards are a quick fix according to Bob Vila. They are easy to sanitize and will protect your cabinets and backsplashes.
- Open a window. If you're lucky enough to have one in your kitchen, let the outside in for awhile. If not, even opening a window in an adjacent room can help circulation in your kitchen and throughout your home.
- Turn on a fan. When the natural breeze isn't enough to push out heavy air or bad odors, a fan can help get things moving. Add a window fan, or turn on a fan in a nearby living room or bathroom for a little extra wind power. As Kitchn says, you want to push air out of the kitchen, so position the fan to move air towards an exit.
- Add a kitchen hood. Made in a range of modern styles and sizes, kitchen hoods are the best way to filter out smoke and grease while you cook. Already have a kitchen hood? You should clean the filter every month or so to keep the exhaust fan in good shape. Check out our tips for cleaning your greasy kitchen hood filter.
- Freshen up the air. An air purifier can help remove bad odors and can be moved from room to room. A simple air freshener can help, but a home-cooked scent can really add a little something special too, according to Kitchn. Try slowly simmering spices, like cinnamon or vanilla, to add a cozy scent that will waft throughout your home.
Interested in more tips and tricks for maintaining your kitchen? Our blog covers everything from cleaning hacks to design inspiration. The RTA Store is here for all your kitchen needs. We can build your dream kitchen with designer-quality cabinetry at a fraction of the retail cost, and top-notch accessories. Bring your ideas to life with our free kitchen design tool, stop by our website, or give us a call at 877-992-2246.